Is Your Home Always Cold? We Can Fix That!
In this guide, I’ll share several effective techniques for fixing a cold home. If you need any more advice, give Quantum Gas Engineering a call on 0203 633 2322.
Fixing A Cold Home
#1 – Tackle Cold Draughts
A surprising number of UK homes are not well sealed. They have cracks surrounding windows, doorframes, chimneys, letter box openings, and exhaust pipes. Unfortunately, these cracks can let cold air enter the property or allow warm air to escape.
Draughts will form whenever there is a gap for air to escape or enter your home, and a difference between inside and outside atmospheric pressures. Draughts will be worse if it very windy outside or you have exhaust fans in operation.
If your property’s draughts are quite bad, all of the warm air generated by your heating system will be lost very quickly, resulting in a constantly cold home.
Fortunately, there are several techniques you can use to reduce draughts, including:
• Add a letterbox cover
• Seal cracks surrounding doors and windows with a silicon sealant
• Use door snakes to prevent draughts coming in under doors
• Adding plants to your property to block wind
• Turn off and close off ventilation fans when not in use
• Check that your vents have flaps to prevent wind from entering
• Check that the attic hatch is sealed correctly
• Install keyhole covers
• Replace missing skirting boards (draughts sometimes come in between floor and skirting)
• Check that there are no open ventilation holes or ducts in your roof space
• Fill gaps between floorboards
• Close fireplaces that are not in use
• Add heavy curtains around windows to prevent draughts
• Have a air tightening test performed to identify the precise location of draughts
#2 – Give Your Windows A Facelift
However, if you don’t have several thousand pounds laying about, there are a couple of cheaper options. The simplest is to install thick curtains on your windows. They will trap warm air inside your home and prevent drafts. You can also install insulating film over your windows to reduce heat loss.
#3 – Improve Radiator Efficiency
• Ensure that your radiator isn’t blocked by furniture
• Install a shelf above the radiator to push warm air towards the centre of the room
• Install a heat reflector behind the radiator
• Keep your radiator clean
• Use radiator additives to improve performance
• Install thermostatic radiator valves so you can turn each radiator into its own heating zone
• If you have cold spots on the radiator, bleed it and consider having your heating system power flushed, to remove built-up sludge
• Have an air eliminator installed
#4 – Make Smart Use Of Timers and Thermostats
Avoid walking in the door and immediately putting the heating on full blast. It isn’t very energy efficient and will lead to higher bills. Instead, let your heating system gradually move the home to a comfortable temperature. Talk to Quantum Gas Engineering about smart boiler which have advanced timer functionally and smart phone integration.
#5 – Cover Your Floors
#6 – Add More Insulation To Your Home
#7 – Upgrade Your Heating System
Quantum Gas Engineering Ltd. Are Accredited Viessmann installers.
Interested In Learning More? Contact Quantum Gas Engineering
For more information on Vaillant boiler installations in Primrose Hill, give Quantum Gas Engineering Ltd a call on 0203 633 2322 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org