carbon monoxide leaks

Carbon Monoxide Leaks – How To Spot The Dangers?

Faulty or incorrectly installed gas appliances can cause high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) to build up in your home. Carbon monoxide is a highly dangerous gas which can quickly injure or kill the people living in your home.

To help you avoid a dangerous situation involving CO gas, this guide will share the warning signs that indicate a buildup of carbon monoxide may be occurring. It will also provide a few tips on what to do when you believe carbon monoxide is building up in your home,

If you suspect that you are dealing with a carbon monoxide leak, call Quantum Gas Engineering on 0203 633 2322. We will send out a Gas Safe registered engineer to identify the cause of your leak and repair it.

Why Is Carbon Monoxide Gas Dangerous?

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas. It is produced during the combustion process when gas, wood, charcoal, gasoline, and other fuels are burnt.

Internal combustion engines, gas boilers, fireplaces, gas stoves, and space heaters are just a few of the appliances which emit carbon monoxide.

Being exposed to small amounts of carbon monoxide is completely harmless. However, if it builds up to a dangerous level, carbon monoxide can become very dangerous.

When a person has inhaled a large amount of CO, it begins to replace oxygen in the bloodstream. This deprives the body of oxygen, which can lead to unconsciousness, heart damage, organ damage, brain damage, and eventually, death.

Boilers And Carbon Monoxide

Gas boilers will have a flue or exhaust pipe that is designed to remove carbon monoxide from your home. However, problems can arise if it becomes blocked. Additionally, an incorrectly installed boiler or a malfunctioning boiler can also lead to excess amount of carbon monoxide being emitted into your home.

Other household appliances that can increase the amount of carbon monoxide in your home include:
• Gas ovens
• Gas hobs
• Gas fires
• Wood burning chimneys and fireplaces
• Wood burning stoves

What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
It’s important to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, so you can immediately evacuate your home if it occurs. Symptoms can include:

• Nausea or vomiting
• Dizziness
• Confusion
• Chest pain
• Shortness of breath
• Headaches
• Weakness
• Loss of consciousness

Some of these symptoms may gradually increase in severity as the level of carbon monoxide in a person’s bloodstream increases. So, you may become more confused or begin to experience more pain over several hours.

When carbon monoxide poisoning is involved, you will also notice that the symptoms are more intense at home and will subside when you leave your house for a few hours. Another red flag to watch for is that multiple people living in your home will experience these symptoms simultaneously.

What Are The Warning Signs Of A Carbon Monoxide Leak?
There are several warning signs which indicate that your boiler may be leaking carbon monoxide into your home. They include:

• The boiler pilot light is burning yellow or orange, rather than blue
• There are dark stains on or around your boiler
• The boiler’s pilot lights goes out frequently
• You notice increased condensation on the insides of your windows

If you notice any of these signs, give Quantum Gas Engineering a call. We will send a Gas Safe registered technician to your home to assess your boiler and make any necessary repairs.

What Should You Do If You Suspect There Is A Carbon Monoxide Leak?
If you suspect that there are high levels of carbon monoxide in your home, take the following steps:

1. Evacuate others
Tell the other occupants of the building to go outside, taking any pets with them.
2. Open all doors and windows
Opening up your house will help the carbon monoxide escape.
3. Switch off your gas appliance
Turn off your boiler or the boiler’s gas supply. Leave it off until it has been inspected by a Gas Safe registered boiler technician. Quantum Gas Engineering can arrange this inspection for you.
4. Evacuate yourself
Leave the property and stay outside until help arrives.
5. Call for help
Call Quantum Gas Engineering on 0203 633 6322. We will send a Gas Safe technician to your property to test carbon monoxide levels and fix any issues that your boiler may have. If you believe that people may still be in danger from a malfunctioning gas appliance, call the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
6. Seek out medical attention
If you are feeling unwell or experiencing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, see a doctor immediately.

What Steps Should I Take To Protect My Home From Carbon Monoxide Leaks?
There are several steps you should take to protect the occupantsoiving in your property from carbon monoxide poisoning, including:

• Have all gas appliance inspected annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. This is compulsory for landlords as they need to receive a Gas Safety Certificate annually.
• Have all chimneys and flues cleaned annually
• Don’t use barbecues, flameless chemical heaters, charcoal burning devices, gas camping stoves and other fuel burning items indoors
• Install carbon monoxide detectors in several locations in your home
• Ensure all fuel burning equipment features the mark of a safety standard or testing agency
• Never use a fuel burning generator inside or near your home
• Never use a gas oven to heat your home

Quantum Gas Engineering Ltd. Are Accredited Viessmann installers.

Interested In Learning More? Contact Quantum Gas Engineering

For more information on Vaillant boiler installations in Primrose Hill, give Quantum Gas Engineering Ltd a call on 0203 633 2322 or email us at info@qge.ltd